In class today, students used a cooperative simulation activity to write 20 short stories with 20 authors each in 20 minutes total.
For homework, you will be a participating author of a short story through a discussion board located on the class wiki, which is linked at the top of this page. The introduction to a story is posted on the discussion board. You will post a reply to the most recent post and continue the story. Each student must write 3-4 sentences. Before starting to write, include your name in parenthesis. You must post a reply before 8AM on Wednesday 11/24/11, which is when I will write the conclusion to the short story.
If you do not have access to a computer and/or internet, you may use the machines in the school library before and after school.
In class today, we read 2 opposing articles on the new HB56 law in our state. We had a discussion-based debate based on the information from these articles. For homework tonight, you need to read BOTH articles, including the one that you were responsible for reading in class today. They are available on the class Wiki under “Class Resources.” You can reach the wiki from the link at the top of this page.
For homework, in addition to reading the 2 articles, you will be responsible for answering questions on YOUR OWN wordpress.com blog. To create your blog and complete your assignment:
- Go to www.wordpress.com
- Click, “Get Started Here.”
- Create a blog address, username, and password. Make your blog address and username your first and last name with no space between them. For example, if your name is John Smith, use the name johnsmith. Click “Sign Up.”
- Check your email and confirm your account.
- Create your first blog Entry. Title it “HB56.” Answer the following questions; for each question, respond with 3-5 sentences:
- Based on the information you gained from reading the articles, which side of the argument do you stand on? Are you in support of the law or against it? Why?
- If you were an immigrant living in the US illegally because you are under the age of 18 and your parents brought you here, how would you respond to the passing of HB56?
- If you were a business owner and were unsure if some of your employees were really in the US legally, how would you proceed after the passing of HB56? Would you fire suspect employees? Why or why not?
- Now that you’ve created a blog, logged on, and posted your first entry, make sure I know where and who you are. Go to the class blog and click “Follow.” Then, make a comment on this blog entry telling me who you are so that I can follow you.
REMEMBER, YOU HAVE UNTIL 8AM ON 11/23/11 TO COMPLETE THIS ASSIGNMENT! If you do not have access to a computer and/or internet, you may use the machines in the school library before and after school.
MODES OF WRITING: DEFINING PERSUASIVE, NARRATIVE, AND EXPOSITORY MODES.
In class today we did a group activity to define the characteristics of three modes of writing. Students were provided a graphic organizer to guide research on these modes. A blank copy of the graphic organizer is available under the “class resources” section of the class wiki. Students who were absent may print one out and get the answers from a classmate this week. There is no homework today.
Welcome to the 2011-2012 class blog. I am Miss Scivley and this site is where I will post brief summaries of what we did each day in class, articles for discussion, and other important information. There will be a running feed for my Twitter account which will be used for announcements available on this page also. For real-time updates, simply follow @scivley10ela on Twitter.