In class today, we read 2 opposing articles on the new HB56 law in our state. We had a discussion-based debate based on the information from these articles. For homework tonight, you need to read BOTH articles, including the one that you were responsible for reading in class today. They are available on the class Wiki under “Class Resources.” You can reach the wiki from the link at the top of this page.
For homework, in addition to reading the 2 articles, you will be responsible for answering questions on YOUR OWN wordpress.com blog. To create your blog and complete your assignment:
- Go to www.wordpress.com
- Click, “Get Started Here.”
- Create a blog address, username, and password. Make your blog address and username your first and last name with no space between them. For example, if your name is John Smith, use the name johnsmith. Click “Sign Up.”
- Check your email and confirm your account.
- Create your first blog Entry. Title it “HB56.” Answer the following questions; for each question, respond with 3-5 sentences:
- Based on the information you gained from reading the articles, which side of the argument do you stand on? Are you in support of the law or against it? Why?
- If you were an immigrant living in the US illegally because you are under the age of 18 and your parents brought you here, how would you respond to the passing of HB56?
- If you were a business owner and were unsure if some of your employees were really in the US legally, how would you proceed after the passing of HB56? Would you fire suspect employees? Why or why not?
- Now that you’ve created a blog, logged on, and posted your first entry, make sure I know where and who you are. Go to the class blog and click “Follow.” Then, make a comment on this blog entry telling me who you are so that I can follow you.
REMEMBER, YOU HAVE UNTIL 8AM ON 11/23/11 TO COMPLETE THIS ASSIGNMENT! If you do not have access to a computer and/or internet, you may use the machines in the school library before and after school.